In which we suggest who should star in the next big adaptation, remake, or historical film.
The post-graduation blues, dehumanizing admin jobs, bickering divorced parents, dancing around to “My Sharona”—there are plenty of elements of Ben Stiller’s directorial debut Reality Bites (1994) that still hold up. Other parts—like that super hot “slacker” with the greasy hair, slight beer belly, indoor pallor, constant sarcasm, and coffee shop band named Hey, That’s My Bike—not so much. But that’s what remakes and television adaptations are for! With Stiller and writer Helen Childress’ blessing, NBC is developing a single-camera television series based on the film. Ignoring any budget constraints NBC might have, here are our picks to fill the roles originally played by Winona Ryder, Ethan Hawke, Janeane Garofalo, Steve Zahn, and Stiller himself.
Casting Call runs every Friday. For more, click here.
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Daniel Mendelsohn on “The New 1930s” and Schitt’s Creek
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun