Weekend News Roundup! Splitsville for Bieber and Gomez
AS LONG AS JUSTIN BIEBER KEEPS MAKING THE NEWS, WE’RE GOING TO KEEP USING THIS PHOTO.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• We were a little confused on Friday after reading all those reports about Justin Bieber’s play date to see The Lion King on Broadway with model Barbara Palvin; when did he break up with Selena Gomez?, we wondered. The answer, as it turns out, is last week! [People]
• Jay-Z and Coldplay will co-headline a show at Barclays Center on New Year’s Eve. Heads-up to the Cool Dads of the world: no Christmas present to your 16-year-old will cement your status better than tickets to it. [Pitchfork]
• Azealia Banks released a new video, for “Atlantis,” from her Fantasea mixtape. In it, she is a sort of Technicolor mermaid princess. Business as usual. [Vulture/NYM]
• Skyfall slayed the weekend box office, opening at $87.8M. Wreck-It Ralph and Flight put in respectable numbers, as well: $33.1M and $15.1M; the box office dropped off sharply after that, with Argo and Taken 2 making $6.7M and $4M, respectively. [BOM]
• We’re not in Kansas anymore—we’re in Beverly Hills, where spending $480,000 on a piece of movie memorabilia doesn’t sound so crazy. And that’s exactly how much one collector paid for Judy Garland’s iconic blue gingham Wizard of Oz dress. [THR]