Weekend News Roundup! Bieber’s Tracks are Stacked; RIP, Robin Gibb
WE HAVE THE FEELING “MARIA” IS A MUSICAL SPIT TAKE.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Justin Bieber released the track listing for his upcoming album Believe, and while there’s no Kanye guest spot, Biebs did manage to nail down Ludacris, Big Sean, Nicki Minaj, and Drake. Other interesting tidbits: the Big Sean collabo is called “As Long As You Love Me” (the insouciant Bieber clearly has no respect for his pop-heartthrob forebears; the Backstreet Boys locked that title down 15 years ago); and the final track is called “Maria” and may or may not be about Mariah Yeater, the woman who accused Bieber of being her baby daddy. [Popdust]
• Carey Mulligan put her Met Gala dress—a one-of-a-kind metallic Prada number—on eBay to benefit Oxfam, and it sold at $2950 after 35 bids. Honestly, for custom Prada worn by an A-lister, this price doesn’t seem that high to us? [The Cut/NYM]
• Speaking of galas, the amfAR Gala in Cannes is one of the biggest social events of the year, every year; and this Thursday’s party boasts perhaps the coolest auction item we’ve ever seen: a short film, directed by Karl Lagerfeld and produced by Harvey Weinstein, starring the highest bidder. We’re secretly hoping it doesn’t go to a movie star. [P6]
• The Avengers stayed at the top of the box office with $55M in its third weekend—more than most movies make throughout their distribution!—bringing its total domestic gross to an obscene $457M. Battleship and The Dictator opened with $25.3M and $17.4M, respectively; and Dark Shadows held on in week two with $12.8M. What to Expect When You’re Expecting somehow made $10.5M, and we would like to meet even one person who saw it. [BOM]
• Bee Gees founder Robin Gibb died of cancer at age 62. Rest in bell-bottomed peace! [NYT]
• Big week for Mark Zuckerberg: a day after Facebook’s IPO, he married his longtime girlfriend Priscilla Chan in the couple’s backyard in Palo Alto. [People]
• There was a solar eclipse yesterday; here’s a time-lapse video of it, if you’d like to see that. [Kottke]
• Arsenio Hall won Celebrity Apprentice; Clay Aiken was the runner-up but the winner in America’s hearts, just like the last time he was on a competition show. [People]