ABOVE: TEI SHI. PHOTO COURTESY OF FAITH SILVA
Raised in Vancouver and Bogotá, and based in Brooklyn, Tei Shi is an artist with a silky voice and ethereal music to match. Her sound, what she likes to call her “mermaid music,” is—intentionally—somewhat hard to categorize, and probably best described as a fusion of indie pop, electronica, and airy ’90s R&B. Entirely on-trend, yet still enticing and distinguished.
Earlier this year, Tei Shi released her debut EP, Saudade, which included “Nevermind the End.” Today, we’re excited to premiere the Saint Pepsi of the song. Given the minimalist production, it’s her honeyed voice that is the real star of the show as she coos and caresses her way through lyrics like “Take me away from here/Somewhere we can just disappear/I’ll be your morning light/If you wanna be my ride tonight.” The airy and soulful element never grows stale, though; her flexibility and range allow her to slide between registers with a strength offset by the dreamy, future-pop instrumentation. Suffice it to say that by the end of the track, you’ll be completely mesmerized by the addictively soothing sound. You’re welcome in advance.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Our Once and Future President, Answers 21 Questions from Her Famous Friends
- Lil Tracy and Ishmael Butler Have a Father and Son Heart-to-Heart
- The One Where Jennifer Aniston Gets Grilled by Sandra Bullock
- Ed Templeton and William Strobeck On Skateboarding and Sweaters
- Talk Hole: Zooming Through the Quarantine with Jeremy O. Harris