In which we suggest who should star in the next big adaptation, remake, or historical film.
Scored by Tchaikovsky and first produced in St. Petersburg in 1892, The Nutcracker ballet has become as much a Christmas tradition as mistletoe and wreaths. Told in two acts, the story revolves around a young girl named Clara who receives a wooden nutcracker doll on Christmas Eve. When Clara sneaks downstairs to check on her new present at midnight, she becomes involved in a magical battle between good and evil involving ginger bread men, a prince, a nefarious mouse king, and the Sugar Plum Fairy.
Recently, it was announced that Disney would adapt the classic ballet of The Nutcracker into a live-action film titled The Nutcracker and the Four Realms. Lasse Hallström (What’s Eating Gilbert Grape) is set to direct the film, and while the lead roles have yet to be cast, we have a few suggestions.
Casting Call runs on Fridays. For more, click here.
- Ask a Sane Person: Jia Tolentino on Practicing the Discipline of Hope
- Phoebe Bridgers and Brandon Flowers on Transformation and Talking Shit
- Talk Hole: The Karen Kolumn
- Donna Missal and Shania Twain on Creative Freedom and Owning Their Sexuality
- Adult Film Star Sean Ford Wants to Make Intimacy Sexy Again