Alexis Mabille Does Double Duty
Published January 27, 2010
Alexis Mabille is a self-propelled force of nature who has simultaneously launched a men’s collection and couture for women along with accessories based on his signature bow ties all the while moonlighting for a string of prestigious big names from YSL accessories to L’Oreal. Mabille is fey, colorful, and whimsical and he likes to delve into that old-fashioned Parisian pampered powder puff style that one associates the 20s and 30s. He’s also lucky. When Carla Bruni Sarkozy
(the singing wife of France’s President) chose one of his satin bow dress Mabille’s name instantly entered the limelight. This time, he zeroed in on cuts, rather than embroideries, for a collection of bicolored tailoring and satin dresses inspired by the jigsaw geometry of Kazimir Malevich. This didn’t leave much room for Mabille’s bows, but he did manage to sneak a few in anyway.
SEE ALL OF INTERVIEW’S COVERAGE OF PARIS COUTURE.
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work
- “The Spectacle Can Never Be Trauma”: Nia DaCosta and Taika Waititi on Exorcism Through Art
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse