WE CHOSE THIS PHOTO TO SIGNIFY OUR HOPE THAT ALEXANDER WANG THROWS A PARTY TO CELEBRATE HIS NEW POSITION. THERE ACTUALLY AIN’T NO PARTY LIKE AN ALEX WANG PARTY.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• You’ve had all weekend to get used to the idea, and now it’s official: Alexander Wang has been confirmed as the new creative director of Balenciaga. [PPR]
• Sad news! Das Racist, everyone’s favorite mischievous post-colonialist rap group, has broken up. Who will name-drop Gayatri Spivak now?! [Pitchfork]
• At this point, dating Taylor Swift is almost an insult to Taylor Swift, don’t you think? Because it implies you know little enough about her music, her personal life, and the intersection thereof, that you’re unaware that dating her means you’ll certainly be lambasted in a song anywhere between nine months and two years from now, and that song might very well be a hit, and then everyone you know is singing along to a song that presents a version of you that is, at the very least, biased, and at most, a depiction of you so skewed as to be unrecognizable? Anyway, Swift and OneDirection’s Harry Styles walked around Central Park together. [P6/NYP]
• Not a whole lot happening at the box office this weekend! The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 and Skyfall each made around $17M; Lincoln and Rise of the Guardians each made about $13.5M; and Life of Pi closed it out with $12M. Ho hum. [BOM]
• Um, what? Did you—did you guys know that Mike Tyson was once in a love triangle with Brad Pitt? According to Tyson, he found a pre-fame Pitt in bed with then-wife, Robin Givens, whom he was divorcing but still visited each day for sex reasons. [DM]
• Buried way down in this NewsCorp press release is the revelation that The Daily, the iPad-only newspaper (or “Murdoch’s folly”) will cease publication effective December 15. Daily, we hardly knew ye! (Really, we hardly knew ye. We tried to set ye up on our iPad, but our subscriptions to ye were weirdly hard to activate, so we gave up on ye and kept reading normal newspapers like everyone else.) [NewsCorp]
- “It’s Embarrassing. We Know.”: How Cazzie David and Lorde Forged a Friendship on the Internet
- How Anna Nicole Smith Ended Up Marrying an 89-year-old
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- Luke Gilford Reimagines the American Cowboy