SUFFICE IT TO SAY NAOMI IS NOT HERE TO MAKE FRIENDS.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Members of Odd Future reportedly attacked a 17-year-old fan who tried to jump onstage at a show in San Antonio last weekend. He plans to sue. [TMZ]
• Naomi Campbell is not getting along with Karolina Kurkova and Coco Rocha, her co-hosts on her Oxygen modeling competition show, The Face. This is really strange news to hear, because Campbell is known for being down-to-earth and undemanding! [P6/NYP]
• A new inquest has been ordered into the death of Amy Winehouse, following the revelation that the coroner who originally conducted the investigation may have lacked the proper credentials to do so. That coroner, Suzanne Greenaway, found that Winehouse had died of accidental alcohol poisoning. [ArtsBeat/NYT]
• The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey enjoyed a strong opening at this weekend’s box office, taking in $84.8M. The dropoff after that was a sharp one: in the second through fifth-place spots, Rise of the Guardians, Lincoln, Skyfall, and Life of Pi made between $5.4M and $7.4M each. [BOM]
• Can you think of anything more romantic than being proposed to on Twitter—and by Deadmau5, no less? Yes, so can we. But that’s Kat Von D’s reality, and she’s just going to have to live with it. Congratulations? [People]
• Hurray! The Yeah Yeah Yeahs will release a new album in the spring. [Pitchfork]
• The piano played by Dooley Wilson in Casablanca fetched $600,000 at a Sotheby’s auction this weekend. Its last owner had paid $154,000 for it in 1988—guess its value is appreciating as time goes by. [Deadline]
- “It’s Embarrassing. We Know.”: How Cazzie David and Lorde Forged a Friendship on the Internet
- Comedian Eric Andre Tells Us Why We Need to “Pop the Zit” of Police Brutality
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- How Anna Nicole Smith Ended Up Marrying an 89-year-old
- Miles Aldridge Shares the Memories Behind Some of His Iconic Photos