While shows by straight white men are still the status quo at most art institutions, a much needed antidote is underway at New York’s New Museum. Now open, “Trigger: Gender as a Tool and a Weapon” includes more than 40 artists working in various media and skewering the gender paradigm. From Vaginal Davis’s clay-and-Aqua Net sculptures to Justin Vivian Bond’s Barbie watercolors, “Trigger” breaks from binary thinking to map the intersections of race, class, sexuality, and disability today. It’s identity as art.
TRIGGER: GENDER AS A TOOL AND A WEAPON IS ON VIEW THROUGH JANUARY 21, 2018 AT THE NEW MUSEUM.
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Daniel Mendelsohn on “The New 1930s” and Schitt’s Creek
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun