In its 23rd year in New York, the Outsider Art Fair is larger than ever with over 50 galleries from dozens of international cities. Always promising a dizzying assortment of artworks, the fair delivers the most interesting and notable work from artists on the fringe or separate from the networks of arts schools, residencies, patronage, and sales-driven forces that make up the art world today. Freed from such constraints, works are without pretense or precedent–but they’re rarely without a great story.
Click through the slide show to see some of our favorite works on view at Center 548 through this Sunday, Feburary 1.
- Ask a Sane Person: Jia Tolentino on Practicing the Discipline of Hope
- Phoebe Bridgers and Brandon Flowers on Transformation and Talking Shit
- Donna Missal and Shania Twain on Creative Freedom and Owning Their Sexuality
- Talk Hole: The Karen Kolumn
- Thirstory: That Time Madonna Was Almost Arrested for Simulating Masturbation