In its 23rd year in New York, the Outsider Art Fair is larger than ever with over 50 galleries from dozens of international cities. Always promising a dizzying assortment of artworks, the fair delivers the most interesting and notable work from artists on the fringe or separate from the networks of arts schools, residencies, patronage, and sales-driven forces that make up the art world today. Freed from such constraints, works are without pretense or precedent–but they’re rarely without a great story.
Click through the slide show to see some of our favorite works on view at Center 548 through this Sunday, Feburary 1.
- “I Was Born for This Time”: Angelica Ross Is Black, Trans, and Fearless
- Adult Film Star Sean Ford Wants to Make Intimacy Sexy Again
- Glam is the Chinese restaurant rager where Timothée Chalamet and Cardi B hang out
- Jessie Ware Tells Róisín Murphy About Her New Album: “I Want People to Want to Have Sex”
- How Anna Nicole Smith Ended Up Marrying an 89-year-old