ABOVE: BEN WYETH (LEFT) AND JERM REYNOLDS. IMAGE COURTESY OF SUNNY COLMAN.
3D glasses can look a little silly, which is exactly why Hockey are flaunting them in the video for their new song, “Calling Back.” “This video is of Jerm and I at our own movie premiere; watching ourselves beat each other up while enjoying beer and popcorn and supplying unheard commentary,” explains Wyeth. “Sort of a meta Beavis and Butt-head.” After taking a brief break—the duo’s last album came out in 2009—Ben Wyeth and Jerm Renyolds are back with a new location (Brooklyn), new album (Wyeth IS), slimmer lineup, and no label. Originally based on the West Coast Portland, OR, Hockey is the kind of band that once drove an oil-fueled van and had an album cover made out of old books, paint, and glue. A photograph on Facebook of their new Brooklyn digs shows Wyeth and Reynolds lying half-naked in their beds on the floor, a sparse array of posters peeling off the walls. Never judge a band by its cover art, though. “We’ve written hits that were never hits,” they claim on Twitter. “There are times when being unqualified is the best qualification.” In “Calling Back,” the video for which we are pleased to premiere here, exemplifies Hockey’s vintage electronic sound and reminds us a little of Jurassic 5’s funky beats paired with MGMT.
WYETH IS COMES OUT JUNE 25. FOR MORE ON HOCKEY AND THEIR NEW ALBUM, CHECK OUT THEIR WEBSITE.
- Comedian Eric Andre Tells Us Why We Need to “Pop the Zit” of Police Brutality
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Adult Film Star Sean Ford Wants to Make Intimacy Sexy Again
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November