The Los Angeles-based band DOROTHY produces some of the purest, most energetic modern rock. Comprised of Dorothy Martin (vocals), Zac Morris (drums), DJ Black (guitar), and Gregg Cash (bass), DOROTHY recently signed to Roc Nation and this Friday, the four-piece will release their debut album ROCKISDEAD. Here, we’re pleased to premiere the LP’s intro track, “Kiss It,” as our track of the week.
“The song is about being a free spirit who doesn’t subscribe to the emotional and mental confines of society,” Martin says. “It’s about being fed up with being told what to do, who to be, how to act, and saying, ‘Fuck the rules, I’m going to be my own person.'”
Imbued with heavy guitar riffs and searing and powerful vocals, “Kiss It” embodies the notions of being young and free. “Mama, she don’t like my walk / Daddy, he don’t like my talk … All I got to say to you is kiss it, baby, yeah,” Martin sings. DOROTHY is currently touring with The Struts, and when seen together, we’re positive the show is an impressive stream of energy not to be missed.
“We currently open our live set with [‘Kiss It’] and the energy of the song illustrates that we are a young and driven band who want to impact the world through our music,” Martin continues. “It also brazenly announces my feelings about female empowerment.”
- Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux Teach a Masterclass on the Art of Awkward
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- Rick Owens and Miley Cyrus on Rock Stars, Recklessness, and Life on the Road
- Anna Khachiyan Shares Her Gut Reactions On Everything From Toxic Masculinity to ‘Vanderpump Rules’
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress