There’s a kind of inevitable feeling about the collaboration between vintage-inspired eyewear brand Warby Parker and ethical label Maiyet. Both were founded five years ago in 2010; both have since become known for their social principles as much as their aesthetics.
So, fittingly, the Bird collection that launched yesterday is, in a way, two sunglasses—and two missions—rolled into one. The pairs consists of two acetate layers in contrasting hues that bring to mind retro flip-up glasses. In keeping with the Warby Parker philosophy, for every pair purchased a pair of glasses will go to organizations like VisionSpring, whose mission is distributing eyewear and training entrepreneurs on eyeglass sales in underprivileged areas. Similarly, Maiyet has teamed up with Nest, a nonprofit that supports artisan crafts and community development.
Warbys have always been glasses for the everyman, but the Bird collaboration is far from pedestrian. The glasses have a heft to them; it would be hard to forget them on top of your head, or on your face. They come in three neutral shades—jet black with striped oystershell, the reverse striped oystershell with jet black, and burnt honey with cream. Their profile leans towards a slight cat-eye, and they’re wide—wide enough to dwarf your face, with a glam vibe that might best be paired with a luxurious fur coat and a dark lip.
WARBY PARKER X MAIYET’S “BIRD” COLLECTION IS AVAILABLE VIA THE WARBY PARKER WEBSITE.
- Gunna and Young Thug Share Rules to Live By: Smoke After Sex, Keep Your Kitchen Lit
- Larry Kramer Is Still the Angriest Gay Man in the World
- Paul Mescal and Daisy Edgar-Jones on Overnight Fame: “They Were Pointing and Laughing at Me!”
- Uncut Gems’s “Handsome Older Man” Wayne Diamond Establishes a New Legacy
- Lil Tecca and Rico Nasty Talk Haters, Baby Tigers, and Skipping Prom