Shot Callers: Peerless Pier 59 Gets Blog-Happy
Published May 31, 2011
PIER 59 STUDIOS’ RECEPTION AREA.
What are blogs about anyway, if not showing off online the good times you and your friends have IRL? Pier 59 Studios, Manhattan’s legendary 100,000-square-foot playground to photographers like Steven Meisel, Patrick Demarchelier, Inez van Lamswoorde and Vinoodh Matadin, has launched a blog worthy of its storied history. The cavernous digital facility welcomes art photographers and filmmakers, but fashion has always been Pier 59’s lifeblood. When the space isn’t being used to stage runway shows for VPL and Rachel Comey, it’s hosting major campaigns for Alexander Wang and Armani Exchange or giant editorials for W, multiple international editions of Vogue, and yours truly (we shot our recent Lara Stone spread there to, we humbly think, great effect). The blog offers backstage videos of celebrity shoots, campaign outtakes, and chronicles of New York Fashion Week chaos—and there’s more to come; Pier 59’s owner, Federico Pignatelli, promises his team is working on new ideas. “Our goal is to make it into a resource just like Pier 59 Studios has become over the years,” Pignatelli says. They’re off to a great start.
VISIT PIER 59 STUDIOS’ BLOG HERE.
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- A no-nonsense conversation between Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Kerry Washington
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse