Louis Vuitton Will Make You Say Something Silly
Published January 21, 2010
All work and no play is no good, so Louis Vuitton mixed everything up today to make a new hybrid they call “Bleisure.” Now is that bling and leisure, or business and leather? Pronunciation and precision mean a lot, although not necessarily in the clothes. Kanye West was back in the front row all “Bleisured” up with Amber Rose in his n’ hers furs. LV’s strategy for work-and-play is based on the way we work today on our laptops at Saint Moritz, I guess. This dressed down/up mix translates as letting the shirttails fly and putting neon yellow down vests over brown and grey suits. Studio Director Paul Helbers went to Vienna and documented the city’s artistic heyday when the Wiener Werkstätte developed a unique constructivist design style. The LV team poured over photos of the era’s hot dressers, Franz Kafka, and Egon Schiele for looks with lots of zips and waterproof leather insets, terrific tough German leather coats and new paint splatter style tweeds. Must-haves are the hand painted bags by German artist Christian Schoeler featuring Viennese landscapes which LV is not even sure how it’s going to commercialize yet, and the sunglasses styled like spectacles with branches that twist around the ear, but in matte rubber for a retro nod to the future.
- The Perfect Halloween Costume for Your Sign, According to Benny Drama
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- The Boulet Brothers Spill Their Guts on Everything Scary, from Fake Blood to Jeffrey Toobin
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- Jumaane Williams Tells La La Anthony Why He’s “Not Okay”