Published June 7, 2011
Lisa Birnbach, co-author of the foundational 1980 meta-ethnography The Official Preppy Handbook and last year’s sequel True Prep, can add something new to her pastel resume: Tommy Hilfiger’s Prep Consultant. Birnbach’s influence is evident in Hilfiger’s new capsule collection, aptly titled The Prep World, for which she provided her trained observations on how classically high-WASP markers are now globally disseminated. So what has Mr. Hilfiger learned? “A seersucker jacket may be worn with jeans in Nantucket, matching shorts in Madrid, or grass-green chinos in Tokyo,” the designer says. The collection, comprised of 60 preppy essentials—including the aforementioned verdant chinos, an oxford shirtdress, and, of course, a tailored two-button blazer—will be for sale in a drop-in-shop in the shape of a beach bungalow from New York to Knokke this summer.
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Meet Roberto Lugo, the Potter Making Ceramics of Biggie and Basquiat
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True