ABOVE: A LOOK FROM EN NOIR’S SPRING 2013 COLLECITON. IMAGE COURTESY OF NABIL ELDERKIN
If you’ve seen stars like Beyoncé, Drake, Kanye West, and A$AP Rocky sporting sleek leather pants, shirts, or sweats as of late, chances are it’s the work of Rob Garcia, the main force behind emerging line En Noir, which most recently released its Spring 2013 lookbook (featuring model of the moment Willy Cartier).
“This was the first chance I got time to tell a compete story with the collection,” Garcia says of the brand’s newest installment. “We got a chance to do some formalwear and some cashmere knits, but we built the line around the edgy leather pieces we are known for doing well.” It’s these same sort of leather pieces (as well as the ornately designed graphic tees and crew necks) that have helped turn the label into a viral sensation.
“Leather is amazing because it can have so many personalities,” Garcia, who got his start at streetwear company Black Scale, says of the source material. “It can give you a total rebel look and still be very sophisticated and regal. I love that it covers such a broad spectrum.” En Noir’s spectrum continues to widen—Garcia and co. presented their newest items at Milk Studios this Sunday.
“I am very thankful to have the opportunity to show,” the designer said. “The layout is insane. I can say that this presentation will be talked about a lot. We went all out for our first show—the ‘Hall of Mirrors’ set we executed will be one to remember.”
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Daniel Mendelsohn on “The New 1930s” and Schitt’s Creek
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November