Weekend News Roundup! Colbert Estimates 6 Billion People Attended His Rally; Zach Galifianakis Smokes Pot on TV
Published November 1, 2010
ASHTON KUTCHER WITH AN ALTOGETHER DIFFERENT TYPE OF BALL.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The University of Iowa allowed two basketball recruits to meet Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore during halftime at a home football game last month, meaning Moore and Kutcher are now involved in a possible violation of NCAA recruitment regulations. [THR]
• Stephen Colbert estimated the attendance at the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear, which he co-hosted with Jon Stewart in Washington, D.C. on Saturday, at “6 billion.” The National Park Service didn’t release a formal estimate, but MTV exec Judy McGrath was told the crowd numbered “well over 200,000.” [Times]
• Saw 3D took the top spot at the box office this weekend, making an estimated $22.5 million on over 3,500 screens. Paranormal Activity 2, Red, Jackass 3-D, and Hereafter rounded out the top 5, with Jackass 3-D passing the $100 million total-gross mark. [Box Office Mojo]
• During a conversation about California’s Proposition 19 on HBO’s Real Time with Bill Maher on Friday, Zach Galifianakis pulled out, lit, and smoked a joint. He passed it to conservative commentator Margaret Hoover, who confirmed, “It’s real.” Video at the link. [CNN]
• New Jersey indie rockers The Feelies are planning their first album since 1991, to be released next spring on Bar/None. [Pitchfork]
• Director George Hickenlooper (Factory Girl, the upcoming Casino Jack) was found dead in Denver on Saturday, apparently of natural causes. He was 47. [THR]
• For Halloween, the White House gave away M&M’s, butter cookies, and—of course—a “serving of dried fruit” to trick-or-treaters. The President reported that Sasha Obama intended to dress as a turkey. [Time]
- “I Was Born for This Time”: Angelica Ross Is Black, Trans, and Fearless
- “Everyone Is in for a Mind-Blowing Time”: A Not-So-Serious Guide to Surviving Mercury in Retrograde
- Adult Film Star Sean Ford Wants to Make Intimacy Sexy Again
- Brandon Thomas and Dylan Jagger Lee Talk Sex, Drugs, and Julian Assange
- Jessie Ware Tells Róisín Murphy About Her New Album: “I Want People to Want to Have Sex”