ABOVE: WE HAVE PHOTOGRAPHIC PROOF JENNIFER LAWRENCE IS CAPABLE OF STANDING UPRIGHT IN HEELS.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The Oscars were last night! The Big Three were pretty predictable: Argo was Best Picture; Jennifer Lawrence and Daniel Day-Lewis won acting awards. But there were some pleasant surprises, as well—the lovely and underseen Life of Pi won for directing, cinematography, original score, and visual effects. [Oscar]
• Seth MacFarlane hosted the ceremony and did his best to be edgy in the Ricky Gervais mold, telling a whole bunch of questionable jokes. What he somehow failed to realize is that a big part of why Gervais gets away with that schtick is by genuinely not caring what people will think of it. Anyway, Gawker made a supercut of the cringiest moments. [Gawker]
• And here are the most important GIFs from the ceremony, including Nicole Kidman’s cute little pout when the Life of Pi visual effects team got played off mid-speech and Jennifer Lawrence’s fall up the steps to the stage as she approached the podium for her award. [Mashable]
• Helen Hunt wore H&M to the ceremony! To be fair, it was a personally customized silk gown and she accessorized it with $700,000 worth of jewelry—but still! H&M! [BI]
• Identity Thief was back on top of the box office in its third weekend out, making $14M; Snitch opened in second place with $13M. Escape from Planet Earth, Safe Haven, and A Good Day to Die Hard kicked in an additional $10M to $11M each. [BOM]
• Quvenzhané Wallis lost Best Actress to Jennifer Lawrence, but she’s been confirmed for the title role in Will Gluck’s Annie remake. [/Film]
• On Oscar weekend, we’d be remiss in forgetting about the Razzies, honoring the worst in film achievement; this year, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 took home an impressive seven awards, including Worst Picture, Worst Actress, and Worst Screen Couple for Taylor Lautner and that 12-year-old. [Razzies]
• And to throw in a little non-film news: Trent Reznor has announced that Nine Inch Nails is returning and will tour throughout the summer and fall. [Pitchfork]
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- “Well, This Is Awkward”: Christine and the Queens and Troye Sivan Make Post-Pandemic Plans
- Gunna and Young Thug Share Rules to Live By: Smoke After Sex, Keep Your Kitchen Lit
- Lisa Rinna Welcomes Denise Richards to ‘Real Housewives’ With Her Best Tips for Surviving a Season
- Marc Jacobs Thinks Men Should Wear Makeup