Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The Oscars happened. Cate Blanchett, Lupita Nyong’o, Matthew McConaughey, Jared Leto, and Alfonso Cuarón all won statues (congratulations). 12 Years a Slave won Best Picture. Jared thanked his mother and brother. It was cute. Matthew thanked God… snooze. Lupita’s speech was cute too. [USA Today]
• Congratulations to Lupita, Penelope Cruz, and Kerry Washington for looking particularly lovely in Prada, Giambattista Valli, and Jason Wu respectively at the Oscars. [NY Mag]
• The Independent Spirit Awards also took place over the weekend. Patton Oswalt hosted. Most of the awards went to 12 Years A Slave, but Fruitvale Station won Best First Feature, and Cate Blanchett, Lupita Nyong’o, Matthew McConaughey, and Jared Leto won the acting awards. Good Oscar predictor, it seems. [Independent Spirit Awards]
• Julianne Moore/Liam Neeson vehicle Non-Stop won the box office with just over $30 million. Son of God came in a very respectable second place with $26 million. [BOM]
• In non-film (well, sort of) news, Katie Holmes is no longer a fashion designer. There’s a tree falling in the forest joke to be made. [People]
• Kendall Jenner modeled at Givenchy, upping her F/W 2014 show list to three: Marc Jacobs in New York, Giles in London, Givenchy in Paris. [E!]
• Justin Bieber had a birthday. He is still not legal to drink. (Sorry, it was difficult to find non-Oscar news.) [MTV]