IF ANYONE’S LOOKING TO MAKE A YOUNG JEEZY “HOPE” POSTER, WE NOMINATE THIS PHOTO.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The most notable event of the weekend was the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, the annual political-journalist get-together at which the President gets to make some little jokey-jokes. The best moment in Obama’s speech was a musical shoutout: “In my first term, I sang Al Green. In my second term, I’m going with Young Jeezy.” Michelle, apparently, is okay with that. Video at the link. [Pitchfork]
• The other thing that makes the Correspondents Dinner unique is that it’s the one event each year that draws celebrities out to hang out with journalists by choice—generally as the guests of news outlets—rather than by obligation. Fashionologie has a roundup of the best looks from the event, on Charlize Theron, Zooey Deschanel, Dakota Fanning, and more. Kerry Washington’s orange Calvin Klein was to die for. [Fashionologie]
• Think Like a Man stayed at the top of the weekend box office with a modest $18M, besting The Pirates! Band of Misfits, which opened with $11.4M. The Lucky One, The Hunger Games, and The Five-Year Engagement all ran a close race, with between $11.2M and $11.3M each. [BOM]
• Whitney Cummings is getting a talk show on E!, to be titled Love You, Mean It with Whitney Cummings and set to air after The Soup on Wednesday nights at 10:30. [Vulture]
• Patrick Dempsey saved a teenager from a car crash! We had to look up what his Grey’s Anatomy nickname is, and apparently it is “McDreamy,” so: McDreamy indeed! We also remember that he was in a movie called Made of Honor, so: made of honor indeed! [TMZ]
• Kim Kardashian wants to be a sitcom star. And a mayor. And a teacher and a pirate and a fairy princess and a dental hygienist. [P6]
- “It’s Embarrassing. We Know.”: How Cazzie David and Lorde Forged a Friendship on the Internet
- How Anna Nicole Smith Ended Up Marrying an 89-year-old
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- Luke Gilford Reimagines the American Cowboy