ABOVE: A 23-YEAR-OLD RYAN PHILLIPPE IN INTERVIEW, FEBRUARY 1998. PHOTO BY BRUCE WEBER.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Michael Schumacher, the 44-year-old German racecar driver who won the Formula One Championship seven (!) times, is in a coma following a skiing accident in Meribel, France. Schumacher was wearing a helmet, without which doctors believe he would have died before reaching the hospital. [CNN]
• Woops! Amazon accidentally released Bruce Springsteen’s album two and half weeks early. [Billboard]
• Carly Rae Jepsen is going to be on Broadway. From February 4th Jepsen will play the titular role in Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella...yay? [E!]
• Nothing really changed at the box office: The Hobbit is still at Number One with $29.85 million, followed by Frozen ($28.85 million) and Anchorman 2 ($20.15 million). New films on the list are The Wolf of Wall Street at Number Five with $18.5 million, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty at Number Seven with $13 million, and 47 Ronin at Number 9 with $9.869 million. [BOM]
• Ryan Phillippe has a girlfriend. She’s 22 (she can buy her own drink!) and a law student at Stanford. He’s 39, in case you were wondering. [Page 6]
• Don’t worry though, 2014 won’t be completely terrible: P. Diddy is going to launch a new tequila with DeLeon. We wonder who will be in that commercial. [Page 6]
- Comedian Eric Andre Tells Us Why We Need to “Pop the Zit” of Police Brutality
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- What Is Magic? Keiynan Lonsdale and Jacob Collier Look to Art for Answers
- Kendall Jenner
- Adult Film Star Sean Ford Wants to Make Intimacy Sexy Again