AFFLECK WAS SNUBBED WHEN OSCAR NOMS CAME OUT, SO IT’S GREAT THAT HE WON A GOLDEN GLOBE.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Big winners at last night’s Golden Globes included Les Miserables (Best Comedy or Musical, Best Actor for Hugh Jackman, Best Supporting Actress for Anne Hathaway); Argo (Best Drama, Best Director for Ben Affleck); Django Unchained (Best Supporting Actor for Christoph Waltz, Best Screenplay for Quentin Tarantino); Homeland (Best Drama Series, plus acting awards for Claire Danes and Damian Lewis); Game Change (Best TV Movie, and acting awards for Julianne Moore and Ed Harris); and Girls (Best Comedy Series, and Best Actress in a Comedy to Lena Dunham). [E!]
• Also, Jodie Foster won the Cecil B. DeMille award honoring her career in general, and she made a very strange speech. She sort of came out, we guess? But then also said some vaguely retire-y stuff? Watch the video and let us know if you can parse it. [Celebuzz]
• Justin Timberlake is officially releasing a new album this year! It’s called The 20/20 Experience, and the first single, “Suit and Tie,” which features Jay-Z and some brass and is great, is already out. [JT]
• Zero Dark Thirty picked up steam with its nationwide expansion, winning the weekend box office in its fourth official week in release with $24M. A Haunted House and Gangster Squad opened with $18.8M and $16.7M, respectively; and Django Unchained and Les Miserables held on with $11.1M and $10.1M. [BOM]
• The Yeah Yeah Yeahs also announced a new album, out April 16, called Mosquito. Its cover is… unexpected, to say the least. [Pitchfork]
• Mallory Hagan, 23, won the Miss America pageant on Saturday. She’s an FIT student and lives in Park Slope, which was a good enough reason for The New York Times to run an article about how weird it is that Miss America lives in Park Slope! [NYT]
• Governor Cuomo declared a public health emergency on Saturday over the flu epidemic that’s rattling New York and the nation. Drink fluids, guys! [Gothamist]