Here’s our compendium of pop culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Dave Chappelle hosted SNL this weekend, and it was worth watching. We particularly recommend Chappelle’s monologue and the all too true skit about election night featuring a guest appearance by Chris Rock. [Vulture]
• Then, at the after party, Chappelle sang Radiohead’s “Creep” on stage and it was magical. [Instagram]
• The first trailer for Beauty and the Beast is here. [YouTube]
• Doctor Strange won the box office; Arrival did pretty well too. [BOM]
• The Simpsons are sorry they were right when they predicted Trump’s presidency 16 years ago. [Vulture]
• Don’t try to talk down to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie—she’s smarter than you are. [HuffPo]
• And this weekend in “the U.S. is full of hate—the extremely abridged edition:” Trump appointed an anti-Semitic, racist, misogynist, white supremacist crazy as his chief strategist; the KKK are planning a “victory rally” for Donald Trump on December 3; the Southern Poverty Law Center has reported over 200 hate crime complaints since Tuesday; every black freshman at the University of Pennsylvania was added to a virulently racist GroupMe chat; Emmy Rossum received anti-Semitic threats on Twitter; some Jewish New School students had swastikas painted on their dorm room doors; two Silicon Valley actors got accosted by Trump trolls in a bar in Silverlake. [Time, Salon, Slate, Twitter, Gothamist, Twitter]