Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The Oscars happened. Chris Rock addressed the #OscarssoWhite question asking, “Is Hollywood racist? …Hollywood is sorority-racist. ‘We like you Rhonda, but you’re just not a Kappa.'” He threw some shade at Jada Pinkett Smith (“Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties…”). Stacey Dash made a very bizarre cameo and everyone was confused. Red carpet commentators mistook costume designer Sandy Powell for Tilda Swinton. [TV]
• Leonardo DiCaprio, Brie Larson, Alicia Vikander, and Mark Rylance picked up the Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Supporting Actor awards, respectively. Emmanuel “Chivo” Lubezki won his third consecutive Oscar for cinematography for The Revenant. Alejandro González Iñárritu won his second consecutive Best Director Oscar for The Revenant. Spotlight won Best Picture. Amy won Best Documentary Feature. Room won Best Adapted Screenplay, while Best Original Screenplay went to Spotlight. Mad Max: Fury Road won all the technical awards (for hair and makeup, costume design, editing, sound editing, sound mixing, and production design), except for Best Visual Effects, which went to Ex Machina. [LA Times]
• Deadpool won the weekend box again, with Gods of Egypt coming in second. [BOM]
• The Independent Spirit Awards also happened. We mention this because Beasts of No Nation finally took home some of the awards it deserves (Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor). [EW]
• Musician Larkin Grimm alleged that Michael Gira, the frontman of the band Swans, raped her in 2008. [Pitchfork]
• Someone shot Salma Hayek’s dog. [P6]