Weekend News Roundup! SAG, Sundance, and Star Wars
PHOTO BY MATT HOLYOAK.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The SAG Awards took place. Beasts of No Nation finally got some love with Idris Elba winning the award for Male Actor in a Supporting Role (he also won the award for Male Actor in a TV Movie or Miniseries for Luther). The other film acting awards went to Alicia Vikander for The Danish Girl, Brie Larson for Room, and Leonardo DiCaprio for The Revenant. [SAG Awards]
• Kung Fu Panda 3 won the box office. [BOM]
• J.K. Rowling wrote about the existence of other schools of witchcraft and wizardry on her Harry Potter website, Pottermore. Among the new schools name are Castelobruxo in Brazil, Mahoutokoro in Japan, Uagadou located somewhere in Africa, and Ilvermorny in the U.S. [EW]
• Coachella is not happy about the existence of Hoodchella, an “underground” music festival in L.A. [Rolling Stone]
• Uzo Aduba brought her high school prom date to the SAG Awards. [Vulture]