Holiday Weekend News Roundup! Moore to Play Steinem; Gaga’s Blood Bath
WE CAN’T WAIT TO SEE DEMI MOORE DOING GRAFFITI IN A STYLISH COAT.
Happy Tuesday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the long holiday weekend.
• In that Linda Lovelace biopic set to star Amanda Seyfried, the role of Gloria Steinem will be played by Demi Moore. She joins a pretty stellar cast that includes Peter Sarsgaard, Hank Azaria, and Sharon Stone. Anyone who expects this movie to be nothing but a fun, sexy time: we recommend reading up on what Lovelace’s life was actually like. [THR]
• A housekeeper at London’s Intercontinental Hotel is claiming that Lady Gaga “left large amounts of blood in the suite” she stayed in there this summer, including a bathtub full of it. She says Gaga was “bathing in blood as part of a Satanic ritual” and, perhaps most distressingly, “The incident was reported to the concierge, who was told to put it out of her mind.” [Sun]
• Figure skater Johnny Weir married his very cute Russian-laywer boyfriend Victor Voronov on New Year’s Eve. They’re moving to New York City, which we hope means more Weir appearances at New York Fashion Week. [NYDN]
• Not much about the box office changed over the long New Year’s weekend: Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows are still at the number-one and number-two spots with $38.3M and $26.5M, respectively; Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked jumped a spot to number three with $21M, and War Horse and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo finished out the top five with $19.2M and $19M. [BOM]
• Russell Brand filed for divorce from Katy Perry, fourteen months (or about four Kardashian marriages) after they wed. Sad. [People]
• But LeBron James got engaged, to longtime girlfriend Savannah Brinson. So you know, sunrise, sunset. [People]
• Experts say today, January 3, is the most depressing day of the year. If you have a sun lamp, now might be the time to break it out. [DM]
• And finally, in response to all the rumors about Beyoncé booking half the birthing suite at St. Luke’s and partying while “enormously pregnant in sky-high heels” on New Year’s Eve, a site has sprung up to help you keep track of whether her baby has been born. You can sit and refresh it all day long, if you want to. We’re not going to judge. Whatever gets you through the most depressing day of the year. [IBBY]