Weekend News Roundup! The King’s Speech Racks Up Awards; Charlie Sheen’s in Rehab; Eisenberg and Zuckerberg Together at Last
AFTER WINNING ALL THESE AWARDS, COLIN FIRTH HAS GOTTEN A LOT BETTER AT SPEECHES. FILM STILL COURTESY OF WEINSTEIN CO.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Last night’s SAG awards saw big wins for The King’s Speech (outstanding cast; best male actor for Colin Firth); as well as Natalie Portman, Christian Bale, Melissa Leo, Boardwalk Empire, Modern Family, Steve Buscemi, and Julianna Margulies. [SAG]
• The King’s Speech also won the top honors at the Directors Guild of America Awards on Saturday and the Producers Guild of America Awards last week, meaning it can probably now officially be considered the frontrunner for the Best Picture Oscar. Apollo 13 is the only film in the last 15 years to have won all three of those awards—SAG, DGA, and PGA—and ultimately lost the Oscar. [My Last Oscar]
• The Rite opened on top of this weekend’s box office, with $15M, followed by No Strings Attached with $13.7M in its second week. The Mechanic opened in third with $11.5M, tied with The Green Hornet, and The King’s Speech rode its awards-season buzz to a fifth-place spot with $11.1M (a 41.3% change). [Box Office Mojo]
• Jesse Eisenberg hosted Saturday Night Live this weekend, with musical guest Nicki Minaj. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg confirmed some rumors swirling late last week when he popped in for a very awkward cameo during Eisenberg’s monologue. Video at the link. [EW]
• Charlie Sheen has finally enrolled at an undisclosed rehab center, and Two and a Half Men is on hiatus for now. Sheen’s manager told People that he was, “bombarded by every rehab in the country,” which sounds weirdly braggy given the circumstances. It’s not like he was being courted by Harvard and Yale. [People]
• Relatively unknown British actor Henry Cavill (The Tudors) has been cast as Superman in Zack Snyder’s new film. It’s slated for a December 2012 release. [ArtsBeat]
• The Hills‘ Lauren Conrad may be secretly engage to boyfriend Kyle Howard, but is rumored not to be wearing a ring because “she wants to hold the secret back for her new MTV show.” How romantic! [P6]