Spencer Sweeney Opens His Studio, and His Heart
Published January 13, 2010
COURTESY GAVIN BROWN’S ENTERPRISE.
For his third solo exhibition at Gavin Brown’s Enterprise, Spencer Sweeney—multi-media artist, DJ, nightlife promoter—moves his living quarters and studio into his gallery, ostensibly letting us all in on the fun and magic of the creative process. If not the first to do so, Sweeney is definitely among the most committed.
The press release promises “paintings, installation, and a multimedia rock opera,” a list of elements that don’t begin to express the intensity or magnitude of the grand mass Sweeney assembles. The actuality of Spencer’s lived environment is overwhelming. The first gallery offers op art-painted walls that pulse and morph like visual feedback along with robotic parrots with suits made of carpet that sit face-to-face on matching plinths. Specially programmed to repeat each other in a continuous loop, the latter were unfortunately not working when I was in the gallery.
READ THE FULL INTERVIEW ON ART IN AMERICA.
WORK BY SPENCER SWEENEY WILL BE ON VIEW THROUGH JANUARY 16. GAVIN BRONS ENTERPRISE IS LOCATED AT 620 GREENWICH AVE, NEW YORK.
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- “The Spectacle Can Never Be Trauma”: Nia DaCosta and Taika Waititi on Exorcism Through Art
- A no-nonsense conversation between Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Kerry Washington
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation