ABOVE: OFELIA K. PHOTO COURTESY OF SHERVIN LAINEZ.
Even if you’ve never fallen in love with someone you shouldn’t, Ofelia K.’s new track “I Love My Lawyer” will still resonate. Premiering below, the L.A.-based musician’s song is more energetic than her previous singles, as well as a bold risk, both musically and thematically. In “I Love My Lawyer,” Ofelia K. blends upbeat electro-pop with distressed lyrics, so that listeners feel uplifted even while she sings, “Nothing fucking matters / Tell me, do you ever feel the same way?”
“Hybrid genres are something I love, and this song is a melting pot of influences,” she says. Regarding the song’s lyricism, she continues: “The concept of ‘serious fun’ has always resonated with me. I like juxtapositions, mixing light and dark worlds together—having a balance so things never get too saccharine, but not being afraid to have fun.”
For Ofelia K. the song is “a sheep in a wolf’s clothing,” and we couldn’t agree more. The melodies provide listeners with a strong shield, but the lyrical layers reveal a deeper, fragile state of mind. If love has left you desolate, Ofelia K. will commiserate and encourage all in the same breath.
FOR MORE ON OFELIA K., VISIT HER WEBSITE.
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- A no-nonsense conversation between Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Kerry Washington
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- “The Spectacle Can Never Be Trauma”: Nia DaCosta and Taika Waititi on Exorcism Through Art
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work