ABOVE: BABY MONSTER. IMAGE COURTESY OF ASHLEY HABER
“City of Lovers,” the new song from the boys of Baby Monster, would fit perfectly at the end of a mid-’80s John Cusack film (a less surrealist version of Better Off Dead, perhaps). Let us elaborate: the summery synth of the song begins, John Cusack is sitting on the hood of his car, looking wistful, pensive, whatever other sensitive adjective you’d like to throw in. Love Interest approaches. She takes both of Cusack’s hands in hers, they kiss, and boom! By the time the chorus refrain of “I want to be a lover” begins, the two are driving (his arm around her shoulders or gently placed on her leg), top down, along the highway. Just before the credits roll, the boys of Baby Monster sing, “The city of lovers, it ain’t so easy to get in here, but it’s not so hard,” the take-home message of all Brat Pack era teen dramedies. Beginning to see what we mean?
Daniel Sternbaum and Marty Larson Xu, the duo behind Baby Monster, wrote their upcoming EP (also named City of Lovers) while in different cities. Although most famous for their remixes of Gorillaz, Foster the People, and others, Baby Monster released their debut LP last August. City of Lovers comes out June 5.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON BABY MONSTER, VISIT THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE.
- Like Everyone Else, Mackenzie Davis and Charlize Theron Discuss Happiest Season
- Adam Sandler Interviews Aubrey Plaza About Her Mind-Blowing New Role
- Kaley Cuoco and David Spade on Flight Attendants, Bad Reviews, and Fake Feuds
- Machine Gun Kelly Tells Dave Franco About the Year That Saved His Life
- Nick Kroll and Seth Rogen Trade Summer Camp Horror Stories