Luca Guadagnino has finished his reimagination of the cult mindfuck Suspiria , and has apparently screened it for the film’s original star, Jessica Harper. Though she doesn’t have any involvement with Guadagnino’s version, she had some choice thoughts to share on his scarefest. “I have seen this movie–the most brilliantly scary film I have ever seen,” she wrote on her Facebook. “Luca’s Call Me By Your Name does not prepare you for it, but throws into relief the director’s brilliance and versatility…”
The original follows prima ballerina Suzy Bannion (Harper) as she arrives in Berlin to attend a dance school. She begins to fall ill and notices not everything is as it seems when dancers keep mysteriously disappearing. Dakota Johnson, who plays Bannion in the remake, recently told Elle that filming Guadagnino’s version “fucked me up so much that I had to go to therapy.”
A recent clip was shown to audiences at CinemaCon, and was met with visceral reactions.
Ummm I am traumatized after seeing a scene from "Suspiria" in which Dakota Johnson controls the body of another woman as she dances. The woman's body literally cracks in half. She is like, torn apart. Spitting, urinating, bleeding. It's… A lot. #CinemaCon
— Amy Kaufman (@AmyKinLA) April 26, 2018
— Avery Thompson (@avery__thompson) April 26, 2018
The film will be released theatrically this fall.
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux Teach a Masterclass on the Art of Awkward
- Chelsea Handler and Martha Stewart on the Hilarious Journey of Becoming a Better Person