Zero’s Reason to Celebrate
Published December 15, 2010
For many, holiday parties might invoke mandatory attendance and tacit enforcement; and holiday bazaars, awkward knit sweaters and carb-y gingerbread. As is her wont, designer Maria Cornejo takes a different tack and relishes the chance to create a cabinet of holiday curiosities. By teaming up with her husband, fashion photographer Mark Borthwick, artist Paula Hayes (who makes those exquisite glass terrariums that flooded the Internet last year), and jeweler Victoria Simes, Cornejo is hosting her very own take on the tradition at her Bleecker Street atelier. “It’s not the usual Christmas thing, it’s very individual and personal,” she says. “It’s a great reason to get old friends, collaborators and inspiring people together.” The inspiring people she refers to include artists Cindy Sherman and Wangechi Mutu, and Cornejo herself, all offering handpicked ephemera like photos, beauty products and, of course, fashion. If you are in the Soho area, stop by to meet Maria, enjoy a seasonal hot apple cider cocktail, and cross the last few names off of your holiday list.
THE BAZAAR RUNS TONIGHT, DECEMBER 15, 5–9 PM. ZERO MARIA CORNEJO IS LOCATED AT 33 BLEECKER STREET.
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- A no-nonsense conversation between Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Kerry Washington
- “The Spectacle Can Never Be Trauma”: Nia DaCosta and Taika Waititi on Exorcism Through Art
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work