Stephen Jones’s Hat Trick
Published August 30, 2011
Fashion’s Night Out is a lot of things: hectic, touristic, even (at times) pleasurable. But might it also be museological? That’s the tack Comme des Garçons is taking, offering a preview of Stephen Jones’s upcoming exhibition at the Bard Graduate Center in New York—as well as the British milliner himself—in their newly renovated 22nd Street store. The mini-exhibition showcases both archival hats he’s done for CDG and some new ones that will go on sale. “It’s been extraordinary collaborating with Rei Kawakubo for all these years,” Jones tells Interview. “This display of hats from my archive and a special range created specifically for Comme des Garçons NY is its latest flowering.”
The exhibit presents hats in all stages of development—from the inspirations behind their construction to the people that wear them—and also spotlights a few unorthodox pieces, including Andy Warhol’s iconic wig. Get an exclusive peek at three of the caps that will be on display in our slideshow.
“HATS: AN ANTHOLOGY” BY STEPHEN JONES IS ON VIEW AT THE BARD GRADUATE CENTER IN NEW YORK CITY, SEPT. 15, 2011–APR. 15, 2012.
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- A Conversation Between Senator Anne Ranch and Demi Lovato (and Danny DeVito)
- Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux Teach a Masterclass on the Art of Awkward