Sophie Hulme’s vision for Fall ’12? Dinosaurs. “I like the dinosaur mohair jumper, and I also love the dinosaur lace—you don’t realize what it is when you first look at it,” says Hulme excitedly of her colorful and detailed autumn line-up, which features prehistoric novelties across casual tailoring and easy-to-wear silhouettes.
Velociraptors and triceratops are but a few entities in this young British designer’s repertoire of motifs. Hulme has become well known worldwide for her statement pendant necklaces—which, to this point, include chunky gold battleships, chip-forks, Bic pen caps and bubble wands on equally chunky gold chains. “I’m always very influenced by military dressing,” she says, “I love the utility of it.”
Hulme founded her eponymous label in 2008, and since then has seen her line come in to high demand. She sells everywhere from Barney’s in New York to Opening Ceremony Tokyo to cutting edge and ultra-select boutiques, such as 4 in Kuwait City. Her success has led to an ongoing collaboration with Globetrotter, a popular luggage brand, resulting in studded leather and hard-sided classic suitcases. “We are working with them on developing brand new cases,” she declares, “and I’m also working on projects with Absolut Vodka and J. Crew.”
- “No Regrets”: Glenn Close and Whoopi Goldberg Discuss Their Singular Careers
- Clea DuVall and Natasha Lyonne Discuss the Subtle Rebellion of Happiest Season
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- How Anna Nicole Smith Ended Up Marrying an 89-year-old
- “It’s Embarrassing. We Know.”: How Cazzie David and Lorde Forged a Friendship on the Internet