The coat of the moment is two coats in one. Maison Martin Margiela has always told a complicated story of versatility, and the product of their collaboration with Opening Ceremony furthers the plot. The quiet wool blend stunner features a detachable sateen liner jacket with sateen-to-elbow, wool-to-wrist sleeves, which, worn alone, offers an urbane interpretation of the traditional smoking jacket. The wool overcoat can also fly solo: luxurious, wide notch lapels provide a sophisticated frame for the neckline, just as the wide elbow-length sleeves frame and highlight the feminine delicacy of the wearer’s exposed arm. A simple two-button front is further proof of a strong (and winning) philosophy of restraint at work in this design. Still, though the two elements can easily be worn as separates, the magic, as always, is in the union of sartorial soulmates: and rest assured, this story is a romance.
Available for $990 at Opening Ceremony and select boutiques.
This Most Wanted item was selected by Interview market assistant Alexa Lanza.
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November