Devoted downtowners rejoice! This morning, Barneys New York announced that it will open a Chelsea flagship on Seventh Avenue, between 16th and 17th streets, in 2017—providing one less reason to venture past 23rd Street. The flagship will occupy a major portion of the original store Barney Pressman opened on Seventh Avenue in 1923 and a new presence in the downtown market.
CEO Mark Lee summarized accordingly, “We believe the robust and growing downtown market is under penetrated in terms of a larger specialty retailer, and we look forward to serving customers with what we anticipate will be one of our most important stores.” Adopting an appropriately gallery-like aesthetic, a total of five stories and 57,000 square feet will exhibit the usual standard of designer clothing, shoes, accessories, and beauty products, with 200 feet of frontage to ensure the world-renowned window displays keep coming. Topped with a Fred’s restaurant on the fifth floor, we suspect we’ll feel dangerously right at home.
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Adult Film Star Sean Ford Wants to Make Intimacy Sexy Again