SEEING JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE REUNITED WITH *NSYNC REMINDED US OF THE OLD DAYS.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The MTV Video Music Awards were last night, and they were… kind of awesome, for once? *NSYNC reunited at the climax of a pretty epic Justin Timberlake medley; Taylor Swift and One Direction and Selena Gomez all won moonmen (and Macklemore won three); Drake and Gaga and Katy slayed; it was twerkness as usual for Miley; and Jimmy Fallon freaked out about getting to present an award to JT. Good job, guys! [MTV]
• Oh, and halfway through the VMAs, we got an email with the subject line “Eminem” and a body that was simply a link to his website; it seems he has a new album, MMLP2, coming out November 5. Visit his site if you want to see him flipping a double bird—a new sort of attitude for him! [Eminem]
• Lee Daniels’ The Butler (that’s the official name of that movie!) won a weak weekend box office with $17M in its second week. We’re the Millers brought in $13.5M in its third. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones and The World’s End both opened with numbers too small to mention in a box-office context (but that we certainly wouldn’t kick out of our own checking account, that’s for sure). [BOM]
• Opening Ceremony is doing a Fashion Week pop-up market from September 5 to 12 that will include all kinds of goodies, including food from Dominique Ansel Bakery, presenting a horrible conundrum: do you dare eat pastries in front of the models? [WWD]
• And now for something completely different: Here is a video of the scary character from The Ring throwing some first pitches at Japanese baseball games. [THR]
• Dust off your Eddie Vedder impressions! (If you’re not sure how to do one, it’s basically just a Swedish Chef impression.) Pearl Jam has a new video. [Stereogum]