Weekend News Roundup! Hathaway’s Hitched; Jay Plays Barclays
HATHAWAY’S VEIL DIDN’T LOOK QUITE LIKE THIS.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Anne Hathaway married fiancé Adam Shulman over the weekend in a gorgeous, custom off-the-shoulder Valentino. Mazel tov! [Vogue UK]
• Jay-Z inaugurated the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Friday with the first of a run of eight shows. He was happy to be in Brooklyn! And everyone was happy to have him there! Total win/win. Also, he let loose with a little new material, including some lyrics of which we are quite fond: “They call me Eight Shows H-O/You can stunt like that when you own the whole place, though… Shooters on my team/ No, really, I got shooters on my team.” Tons of photos and video at the link. [Gothamist]
• In other, less positive live-music news, Jack White enraged concertgoers at his Radio City Music Hall show on Saturday night by abruptly leaving the stage after a 45-minute set. Angry fans grew angrier when “multiple pizza pies” were delivered backstage. Why he cut the set short is still unclear. [Observer]
• Hotel Transylvania set some surprising records at the weekend box office, pulling in $43 million for a first-place opening; it’s the top opening ever for a September weekend, and for Sony Pictures Animation. Looper had a respectable second-place start with $21.2M, followed by End of Watch, Trouble with the Curve, and House at the End of the Street with between $7M and $8M each. [BOM]
• Lindsay Lohan was allegedly assaulted in her hotel room over the weekend by a man she met at 1Oak (oh, Lindsay). She got upset when she found out he had taken photos of her on his phone, and left the room; when she returned, he choked her and got on top of her. A friend pulled him off, LiLo called the cops, and she wasn’t hospitalized. I think we all know the moral of this story. [TMZ]
• ’90s R&B goddess T-Boz is getting a reality show. And yes, it will be on TLC. Everything is amazing. [Vulture/NYM]
• Pussy Riot’s appeal date has been pushed back to October 10. [Pitchfork]