Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The Super Bowl happened. As it was the game’s 50th anniversary, all the past super bowl MVPs lined up before the action began. Most of them received polite to enthusiastic applause; Ray Lewis and Tom Brady did not. Lady Gaga sang the national anthem. Beyoncé, Bruno Mars, Mark Ronson, and Coldplay performed at half time. The Denver Broncos beat the Carolina Panthers by 14 points.
• Alejandro González Iñárritu won the Directors Guild Award for his work on The Revenant last night. [The Guardian]
• Kung Fu Panda won the box office, followed by Hail, Caesar! [BOM]
• Someone stole Lower Dens’ van and all their gear in San Antonio. [Pitchfork]
• Missy Elliott has a new song out called “Pep Rally.” It also appeared in a Super Bowl commercial. [YouTube]
• Larry David returned as Bernie Sanders in SNL. [Rolling Stone]