Weekend News Roundup! Kanye’s Price is Too High for a Bar Mitzvah; Jersey Shore Delayed; MacGibbon Out at ChloÃ©
Published May 9, 2011
AFTER KANYE ASKED TOO MUCH TO PERFORM AT A BAR MITZVAH, JEFF ZUCKER SETTLED ON DRAKE. JUST KNOW THAT YOU’RE OUR FIRST CHOICE, AUBREY!
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• When former NBC head Jeff Zucker threw his son Andrew a bar mitzvah at the Four Seasons on Saturday night, he initially wanted Kanye West to perform, but balked at ‘Ye’s asking price (a cool million). Instead, the poor kid had to settle for Drake and personalized Converse sneakers for all his guests. He’ll probably hate his dad forever now. [P6]
• Filming on Season Four of Jersey Shore, in Italy, has been delayed a week, possibly because Italy needs some more time to spray disinfectant all over itself in preparation. [DigitalSpy]
• Thor won the weekend box office with a powerful $66M, knocking Fast Five—still going strong with $32.5M!—out of the top spot. Wedding comedies Jumping the Broom and Something Borrowed opened at $13.7M and $13.1M, respectively, and Rio kept chugging along with $8.2M, taking the #5 spot. [BOM]
• And, um, in other box-office news: Mel Gibson’s The Beaver opened in 22 theaters and grossed only $104,000. [THR]
• The Cannes Film Festival has added to its program films by Iranian directors Jafar Panahi and Mohammad Rasoulof, who are still imprisoned for propaganda against the state after mourning protesters who died in the 2009 uprising following Iran’s presidential election. A petition to free Panahi is available here. [Deadline]
• Though Animal Kingdom won the Kentucky Derby this weekend, the most-coveted non-equine title—Best Hat—is still under debate. Here, a gallery of likelies. [Jezebel]
• Hannah MacGibbon is leaving her post as creative director at Chloé, which she’s held since 2008; Clare Waight Keller, former creative director of Pringle of Scotland, will take her place. [Racked]
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- “The Spectacle Can Never Be Trauma”: Nia DaCosta and Taika Waititi on Exorcism Through Art
- A no-nonsense conversation between Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Kerry Washington
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation