Weekend News Roundup! Bieber Keeps Obama’s Promise; Gay Marriage Passes; New BjÃ¶rk Song
Published June 27, 2011
REST ASSURED, THIS IS NOT A PHOTO OF JUSTIN BIEBER MEETING HIS YOUNG FAN. WE ARE ALMOST 100 PERCENT SURE HE DIDN’T SPIT ON HER.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Gay marriage was legalized in New York on Friday night; the bill was immediately signed by Governor Andrew Cuomo after being passed in the Senate, just in time for the Pride Parade. [Times]
• Among the gay couples already officially engaged in the wake of the bill’s passing are Neil Patrick Harris and his boyfriend David Burtka. [E]
• Though the fashion world is still waiting with bated breath to find out who will succeed John Galliano at Dior (and at this point, the fashion world is going a little blue in the face), his successor at his eponymous label has been announced: Bill Gaytten, whose title will likely be creative director. [WWD]
• When he’s not busy presidenting, sometimes Barack Obama makes promises to kids—kids like Payton Wall, 14, daughter of a 9/11 victim. Obama met her in May and vowed he’d figure out a way for her to meet Justin Bieber—and then, at the launch of his new perfume at Macy’s on Thursday, Bieber did take some time out to meet her. Aww! [Daily Intel]
• Cars 2 won the weekend box office despite a weak critical response, with a healthy $68M take. Bad Teacher opened in second place, with $31M; Green Lantern, Super 8, and Mr. Popper‘s penguins finished out the top five in the $10M-$18M range. [BOM]
• Seriously, what the hell, San Francisco? A proposal to the Board of Supervisors there would, if passed, ban all sales of pets in the city. San Francisco, we used to feel bad for you because of your reputation, but not anymore. You bring it on yourself. [Jezebel]
• Rachel Weisz and Daniel Craig secretly got married in New York last Wednesday in front of their two kids from previous relationships and two friends. [People]
• Oh, hey, a new Björk song! It’s called “Crystalline,” and sonically, it’s Björkness as usual: xylophones and shouting. We love it! [Prophet Blog]