Weekend News Roundup! Jersey Shore Takes Italy; Black Swan Passes $300 Million; Bravo Replacing Housewives?
Published May 16, 2011
IMMEDIATELY UPON LANDING IN ITALY, THE JERSEY SHORE BOYS DEMANDED TO KNOW WHERE THEY COULD GET A GIGANTIC SANDWICH. IT’S IN THEIR CONTRACTS.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The Jersey Shore cast has finally arrived in Italy, after a weeklong delay. Ronnie Magro told People he ordered Rosetta Stone software when he learned where Season 4 of the show would take place, presumably so he could learn to say things like “You’re a stumpy bastard, with your Flintstones big toe” in Italian. [People]
• Thor held onto its top spot for a second weekend at the box office, pulling in $34.5M; in second place, Bridesmaids outperformed expectations with $24.4M (maybe women do like to laugh? Who knew?!). Fast Five, in third, added another $19.5M to its gigantic pile of money ($169M so far); Priest opened with $14.5M; and Rio rounded out the top five with $8M. [BOM]
• Angelina Jolie’s directorial debut has been titled In the Land of Blood and Honey and will be released December 23. The Bosnian war drama has been a subject of controversy because it supposedly featured a plotline regarding a rape victim who falls in love with her rapist, though Jolie’s rep denied that such a plotline existed. [Deadline, MTV]
• Bravo is reportedly considering replacing the entire cast of The Real Housewives of New York City with richer women—more like the franchise’s Beverly Hills counterparts, “dripping in glamour and $10 million penthouses.” We’re going to hazard a guess that this means no Brooklynites—sorry, Alex. [P6]
• Black Swan has now made over $300 million worldwide—more than 25 times its $12 million budget. And now we’re going to have the Swan Lake suite stuck in our head all day again. BUM, bum bum bum bum BUM bum BUM! [THR]
• Some more details you didn’t need to know about the birth of Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon’s twins, Moroccan and Monroe: Cannon says Carey wanted to be sure “that they came out not only to a Mariah Carey song, but a live performance from Mariah Carey—her Madison Square Garden performance of ‘Fantasy’—so they came out to a round of applause.” We bet these kids will be spectacularly well-adjusted. [People]
• Azerbaijan won the 56th Eurovision song contest, but the Moldova team’s performance is the one that Gawker deems worth seeing. [Gawker]
- The Perfect Halloween Costume for Your Sign, According to Benny Drama
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- The Provocative, Uninhibited, and Naked Bodies of Spyros Rennt
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse