Sundance 2011: How Susan Sarandon Learned to Snowboard
Published January 27, 2011
SAMMY LUEBKE. PHOTO BY DEENAH VOLLMER
Over the weekend at Sundance, Slash, Guns and Roses’ notorious guitar shredder, announced the launch of his own horror-movie production company, called—can you guess?—Slasher Films. On the same day, he also visited the Oakley “Learn to Ride” program, a makeshift snowboard shop in a dark basement space on Main St., which offered full regalia and lessons by a pro snowboarder to actors, filmmakers, and members of the industry.
Those wishing to tackle the Utah powder (Slash declined, but he sent his sons) were then fitted for boots and a board and shuttled to the slopes, where they received a lesson from a snowboarding professional like darling Sammy Luebke, 21, professional back-country rider, who has been with Oakley since he was nine. Other celebrities to visit the program included Anne Heche, Joy Bryant, Lil’ Jon, Shwayze, Susan Sarandon, Adrian Grenier, Chris Hemsworth, and Carmen Electra.
- Ask a Sane Person: Daniel Mendelsohn on “The New 1930s” and Schitt’s Creek
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun