PHOTO COURTESY OF DIPTYQUE.
You’ve probably seen the chic typography before.
Black letters floating on a white background, a glass case encompassing the beautifully scented wax featured on Instagram accounts of lifestyle bloggers the world over, and favored by the likes of Jennifer Lopez and Sean “Diddy” Combs: A Diptyque candle.
The pinnacle of self-care luxuries, from all this exposure it seems like the candle is synonymous with the brand, but not so, says CEO Fabienne Mauny.
“We wanted to show that we have candles but we also have so many other things,” she explains. To achieve that goal, Diptyque has launched a two-month-long Soho pop-up shop to celebrate the 50 year anniversary of their foray into fragrance. Dedicated to genderless eau de parfums and eau de toilettes, the pop-up is peak concept.
There are experiential rooms, where visitors can discover the raw materials of each individual fragrance note that comprises their two new anniversary scents, Fleur de Peau and Tempo. In that same experiential room, artists Dimitri Rybaltchenko and Safia Ouares explain en video the inspiration behind the intricate illustrations created for each new scent.
Innovative fragrance technologies are at large here, like little black gadgets that diffuse raw scents so you can avoid amassing the collection of cardboard sticks with which you might normally leave a parfumarie.
THE POP-UP SHOP RUNS UNTIL MAY 19, 2018 AT 112 MERCER STREET.
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Meet Roberto Lugo, the Potter Making Ceramics of Biggie and Basquiat
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True