In which we suggest who should star in the next big adaptation, remake, or historical film.
If the 1990s were Disney’s animation renaissance, we are currently experiencing a Disney revitalization of the live-action remake. Director Jon Favreau’s reboot of The Jungle Book achieved groundbreaking success this spring, and Disney has certainly taken notice. The new-and-improved Beauty and the Beast is set for release next spring, and a Lion King remake, also directed by Favreau, has been announced.
Last month, Disney revealed that a live-action reboot of Aladdin is in the works, and they have enlisted Guy Ritchie to direct. Considering that Ritchie is known for his crime films such as Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels; Snatch; and Sherlock Holmes; Disney fans are confused. According to the Hollywood Reporter, however, Disney has said that the film will be “nonlinear” and an “ambitious and nontraditional take” on the animated cult classic. John August, best known for Big Fish, has written the script, but no casting decisions have been made thus far.
Casting Call runs on Fridays. For more, click here.
- Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux Teach a Masterclass on the Art of Awkward
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- Rick Owens and Miley Cyrus on Rock Stars, Recklessness, and Life on the Road
- Anna Khachiyan Shares Her Gut Reactions On Everything From Toxic Masculinity to ‘Vanderpump Rules’
- A no-nonsense conversation between Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Kerry Washington