Art on TV: Matthew McCaslin in the Mansion
Published April 19, 2010
Gossip Girl isn’t quite known for its accurate portrayal of New York life, but it gets the art world pretty spot on. Lily Humphrey (played by Kelly Rutherford) has always been an avid art collector, and she seems to have acquired a well-advised roster of works to decorate her apartment: pieces by Marilyn Minter, Ryan McGinley, Elmgreen and Dragset, and Richard Phillips have all been spotted on the set. In the episode airing tonight, “The Hurt Locket,” Matthew McCaslin’s He or She, a wall-mounted sculpture made from entangled electrical conduit and mirrored light bulbs, will grace the walls of the Humphrey home. It’s a wise choice, as the rococo take on the crucifix shape suggests a somewhat distorted moral center. Meanwhile, McCaslin’s transparent use of materials suggests that all conflict will inevitably be revealed.
If you miss the work tonight, it will be on view all week in the Gering López Gallery offices at 730 Fifth Avenue.
- Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux Teach a Masterclass on the Art of Awkward
- Anna Khachiyan Shares Her Gut Reactions On Everything From Toxic Masculinity to ‘Vanderpump Rules’
- Rick Owens and Miley Cyrus on Rock Stars, Recklessness, and Life on the Road
- “I’m a WASP with a WAP”: Chloe Fineman on Chloe Fineman
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress