LIKE WE HAVEN’T BEEN BOWING DOWN FOR YEARS, BEY.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Beyoncé put a new song, “Bow Down/I Been On” in a Soundcloud embed on her site, along with some frankly adorable cover art featuring a photo of the young Bey as a preteen beauty queen. We know a thing or two about Soundcloud, and we have never seen one with such a high comment density as this one. [Beyoncé]
• ?uestlove hinted over the weekend that we can expect a second volume of Justin Timberlake’s 20/20 Experience in November. (And, we would add to that, a President Timberlake in November 2016.) [Vulture/NYM]
• Marilyn Manson allegedly threw a smoke bomb at the LA premiere of Spring Breakers. More like Marilyn Prankson, right?! Anyway, firemen had to come inspect it and make sure it was safe, so good job diverting resources from actual fires, Marilyn. [P6/NYP]
• Oz the Great and Powerful won the weekend box office in its second week with $42.2M; The Call and The Incredible Burt Wonderstone opened at $17.1M and $10.3M, respectively. Jack the Giant Slayer and Identity Thief made $6.2M and $4.5M to finish out the top five. In its limited-release debut, Spring Breakers didn’t break the top 20—but it did make $270,000 on only three screens, which is gigantic and bodes well for its larger opening. [BOM]
• Emma Watson wins the Weekend’s Best Tweet award for this gem: “Who here actually thinks I would do 50 Shades of Gray as a movie? Like really. For real. In real life,” which she followed up with “Good. Well that’s sorted then.” Time to get Ashley Benson on the horn! [People]
• Saoirse Ronan has signed on to star in Ryan Gosling’s directorial debut, How to Catch a Monster, alongside Christina Hendricks and Eva Mendes. She theorizes it will be “very experimental.” [THR]
• A new Soho House is opening at 139 Ludlow, in a former funeral home space—which means New York will have two Soho Houses, neither of which is actually in Soho. (At least the LES is closer than Meatpacking?) [Bowery Boogie]