SXSW Music: Picturing the Riot at Death From Above 1979
Published March 21, 2011
It takes a lot to beat Kanye West’s star-studded VEVO show as a South by Southwest trending topic, but Death From Above 1979 did just that on Saturday night when they played a surprise reunion set (their first since breaking up five years ago) in the backyard at Beauty Bar. It was packed to the barrier, and when fans broke down fences to get in, mounted riot police arrived and corralled rowdy concertgoers, resorting to pepper spray when necessary, and eventually storming the stage. We were there, and got photos of the unforgettable show—and its aftermath.
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected
- Ask a Sane Person: Daniel Mendelsohn on “The New 1930s” and Schitt’s Creek
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November