SXSW Music: Picturing the Riot at Death From Above 1979
Published March 21, 2011
It takes a lot to beat Kanye West’s star-studded VEVO show as a South by Southwest trending topic, but Death From Above 1979 did just that on Saturday night when they played a surprise reunion set (their first since breaking up five years ago) in the backyard at Beauty Bar. It was packed to the barrier, and when fans broke down fences to get in, mounted riot police arrived and corralled rowdy concertgoers, resorting to pepper spray when necessary, and eventually storming the stage. We were there, and got photos of the unforgettable show—and its aftermath.
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux Teach a Masterclass on the Art of Awkward
- Mel Ottenberg and Jeremy O. Harris in Paris: An Honest Conversation About the World’s Most Polarizing TV Show
- Rick Owens and Miley Cyrus on Rock Stars, Recklessness, and Life on the Road