ABOVE: JORGE DAY, AKA FAST TIMES
Fast Times (a.k.a. Jorge Day) is a Brooklyn-based Floridian whose lo-fi house tracks mix sensuous and seedy sounds to hypnotic effect. After years touring throughout Europe and refining his production style, the artist dropped his Body Talk LP late last year via L.A. dance imprint 100% Silk. Filled with self-conscious nods to ’80s and ’90s dance culture, the release is billed as “a collection of sexy, casual jams for the part time raver in all of us.”
Like much of the music released on 100% Silk, Fast Times’ trades heavily in nostalgia, mixing analog crackle with throwback house beats. To create the video for “This System,” Day enlisted Brooklyn-based visual artist RVL, whose work, she says, “focuses on class difference and how it affects social interactions, emotions and human relations… [the] aim is to scrutinize matters such as hierarchies, power relations, charity and empathy.” The resulting collaboration is a mix of glitched-out, public access-style footage and shots of some seriously goofy-looking ravers. Though the clip invites deeper analysis, it’s just as easy to sit back and get lost in the PLUR of it all. Check out the premiere above.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Our Once and Future President, Answers 21 Questions from Her Famous Friends
- Lil Tracy and Ishmael Butler Have a Father and Son Heart-to-Heart
- The One Where Jennifer Aniston Gets Grilled by Sandra Bullock
- Ed Templeton and William Strobeck On Skateboarding and Sweaters
- Talk Hole: Zooming Through the Quarantine with Jeremy O. Harris